Monday, July 28, 2014

New at Big Blue

As many of you know, I recently began working for IBM. 

I took a position as a Solutions Architect in Chicago.  It is a hybrid selling/technical position in the commercial enterprise space.  I am very excited to be at IBM and am looking forward to carrying the IBM banner for my clients.

Although I could write many blog posts about what its like to work at IBM or even how their technologies, like Watson and its cognitive computing capabilities, are going to change how we use computing solutions.  However, I wanted to write about perceptions.  Like all people we have perceptions of the way things are going to be or what something was going to be like before we actually experience it.

When I showed up for my first day at IBM I had many very strong preconceived notions as to the company, what it stood for and what its people were about.  Like many, I still have visions of the Blue Pin Stripe Suits, white shirts and polished shoes.  All IBM employees were in lock step carrying the same black brief case.  I can tell you that my experience so far is nothing short of the polar opposite.  My perception of the people who made up of IBM were completely wrong.  This is a company full of dynamic, innovative and creative people from across the globe with the most diverse backgrounds I have ever run across.

To be an "IBMer" has taken on a whole other meaning to me.  During our first day of "On-Boarding" at RTP, North Carolina we were shown a video done to celebrate the 100th anniversary of IBM.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39jtNUGgmd4  It is a video that talks about IBM ground breaking moments and innovations both in computing and human terms.  It references hiring the first disabled employee in the 1920s, women's rights and on and on.  I immediately sat up in class as this video was playing and realized that IBM is the type of company that I thought didn't exist.  Global innovation in human terms, Nobel Prizes and a company with a simple motto, "Think".  The best news is I am part of the team.

I have been overwhelmed by the depth of quality of talent.  It seems there is no shortage of truly gifted people here.  My hope is to rise to the occasion and become the best IBMer that I can become.  Everyday is an opportunity is a day to learn.  Today I was reminded that perceptions can be a direct path to misunderstanding, misinterpreting and just being plain wrong.  The good news is that IBM values the thought process.  My experience thus far has been one of thinking before doing.  I am hopeful this will translate to my daily life as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment